Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Funerals and a nostalgic trip to Crystal City

Jerry Williams, a long time friend of Daddy's died last week.  He was such a big part of my life, Uncle Jerry.  He was relentless in his teasing.  Loved him dearly.  So sorry that I did not make more of an effort to keep he, Penny and Aunt Dottie in my life.  What precious souls they are.  I got to meet Penny's children, Spencer and Samuel.  They are amazing.  Spencer spoke at funeral on behalf of the family and thanked Mom and Richard Hopper.  Mom, of course was there to help Penny through all major decisions.  
I saw Rebecca Catlett for the first time in 27 or so years.  She looks amazing.  I also saw Regina Coleman.  Again, time has been good to her.  She is teaching in Crystal City.  Wait . . . I think she is teaching my old class . . . 7th grade math!
Below is a picture of my home church.  I love this church.  It brings tears to my eyes as I type.  It is so beautiful and holds such precious memories.  Especially when Pastor Story came and brought all my precious Fredericks.  What would my life be like without them.  
Crystal City means so much to me.  The people there are the best in the world.  They helped shape who I am and they are fading away.  When asked where I am from, I don't say Pleasanton, I say CRYSTAL CITY.  I live in Pleasanton, but my roots are Crystal City, the Tavern, the 317, Queers, 1243 E. Val Verde, crossing the field to go see Robin, going to Laurie's to get a dose of a huge family, cooking and sewing with Annette and Grandmother Carr, playing sports with everyone in neighborhood, getting a ride to Carrizo with an older Crystal Citier and so so much more.


Never fear, the church family will prepare the meal and take care of everything for the meal after Uncle Jerry's funeral.  Aunt Hazel and Annette were the Chiefs.  Annette looks amazing.  I didn't think I would eat, but save myself for a Dairy Kreme Queer until I saw ham salad!


After the funeral I went to Aunt Joy's for a stocking lesson.  Granddaddy always said if you are going to do something that you are unfamiliar with, go to the best and find out how they do it.  Joy is the best Christmas stocking maker there is.  She was a ton of help and helped me get started on Preston's stocking.  Joy is holding little hope that I will finish by Christmas.  Later that night Tia helped me cut out all the felt shapes.  This is going to be a BIG, time consuming project.  I can't wait.  




No comments:

Post a Comment