Friday, July 15, 2011

Anchorage - 13 & 14 - with my GPS ap and Sarah's Jeep I was unstopable

The hospital that Sarah works at. 

   
A view of the Chugash Mountain Range from Sarah's parking lot.  Lucas can explain how weather changes in a flash in Alaska.  The clouds signify a change that is coming.  
Tourist come to Sarah's hospital to see the exhibits.  Here is one.  The gift shop is amazing, ivory, carvings, jewelry, mucklucks, baleen, etc. 
 

Sarah's work station.  She works with some amazing people. I met, Kay, Gloria, George and had lunch with them on Wednesday.  Gloria told me about a native market to go to on Friday.  Sarah did a sonogram on me.  

Then i was off to search for needle shops in Anchorage.  My first stop was not what I had in mind.  Abandoned trailer in a residential area.

Second stop, was Grace's Needle Store.  What do you know, another residential area.  I was curious so I called Grace.  Grace is pictured below.  She is 82.  She had the largest needle craft store in Anchorage and had closed it a year or so ago and had the inventory in her house.  She let me come over and go through her stuff.  Grace had lived in San Antonio.  What a small world.  She said that she had dated many a Texas man.  I told her Texas men were the BEST!  


Rucas (not to be confused with Lucas), Sarah and Lucas' neighbor dog.  Notice how big he is?  He is almost as tall as Sarah.  He is an Alaskan Malamute (redish).  He howls during the day.  His welcome to newcomers is to pee on them.  Major went to introduce himself and he peed on his head.  Just after this picture, he tried to pee on Sarah.  

This is a picture taken outside Sarah's house at 10:30 p.m.

On Thursday, I spent the day in the freezing house.  I set up Skype with Jenna and Amanda.  Skype will be great for keeping all of us together.  

At 2:30 I ventured out to get my haircut by Sabrina.  Who would have known that an African American girl would give me the best haircut and color I have ever had.  I almost had a heart attack when Sarah said she made me a hair appoint.  Hair appointments are my LEAST favorite thing in the world.  

After the great haircut, Sarah, Deneva and I went to Alaska's famous Moose's Tooth.  The wait for a Moose's Tooth pizza, 1.5 hours . . . I don't think so.  We went home and had take out pizza.  Deneva is adorable.  Sarah and I will be spending more time with her this week.  I might even teach them to quilt.  


This is a side note.  Sarah has just moved in and this is her apron collection in her kitchen.  She keeps family alive in her house with GG candles, Aunt Jennifer's aprons and lots of pictures.  


No comments:

Post a Comment